[GRLUG] amazon and firefox

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Fri Apr 11 12:34:57 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 12:26 -0400, Matt Behrens wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Eric Beversluis
> <ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
>
> > If I delete my entire history from Firefox, Amazon still knows my
> > name
> > and saved password when I go to amazon.com and click to sign into my
> > account.
> >
> > How does it do that if I've deleted my entire history? Do they
> > somehow
> > know the MAC address of the box I'm using? But if I open Chrome,
> > from
> > which I've never signed into Amazon, it doesn't already have my name
> > and
> > saved password.
>
> Firefox also maintains saved passwords (and asks you if you want to
> save them when you type them in.)
>

> Check Preferences → Security → Saved Passwords.
>

> If this is the case, Amazon probably doesn’t know your name and saved
> password, until you’ve submitted the form.

This is interesting: in the saved passwords was one for Amazon.com, but
it had a different user-name (not my email, which Amazon uses) and a
different password. But when I removed it, the info no longer showed up
in the logon form for Amazon.

So, aside from the anonoly I mentioned, Matt's answer seems correct.

Thanks.