[GRLUG] AirOS Expertise

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Sep 25 13:32:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 11:57 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 11:47 AM 9/25/2013, Greg Folkert wrote:
> >So, Lee, how is this any different than using OpenSwan? Other than the
> >fact you've almost bricked a proprietary system and still can't get the
> >link to work?
>
> Well, for one the HW is weather proof, the antenna includes all
> system HW, and runs on POE, .. sufficient <g>? Besides, at $500 it is
> cheaper than purchasing two machines, much less making them weatherproof.
>
> >I'm just asking, since, if you'd have used "a cobbled together POS" with
> >some old POS linux machine and OpenSWAN... you might have already been
> >done and up and running... because you know... it was cobbled together.
>
> See above!
>
>          Lee

Oh, I see... Much much better.

Refurb'd ITX chassis machines use about 8W and can be had for $40.
Another $20 for a weather proof enclosure... and those ITX machines
typically can run on what POE can provides... and Antennas aren't that
much. Plus I could ssh into the thing and update/fix it with more
convenience.

I see... AirOS truly much better, plus you get the bricking and complete
documentation for free free. What a deal.

No, now I'm getting into sarcasm.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"If I am what I have and if I lose what I have who then am I?"
    -- Erich Fromm