[GRLUG] VPN access to website on LAN

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Sep 25 08:09:01 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 23:43 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> I've got a website set up on our server at work (ClearOS); the website
> also has a production version at GoDaddy. I've got the local DNS on the
> server working so I can get to the local version from the LAN. But now
> I'm trying to do the same thing when connected via pptp from home, and
> all I can get is the GoDaddy version.

You need to use the VPN's remote DNS server, at least for the domain of
the VPN's network.  If you are hitting public DNS when connected to a
private network then nothing will work as expected.

DNS cache [local/application] can also be an issue when you start/stop
VPN [or any] network connections with applications active.

> I know the VPN connection is working, since I can connect to hosts at
> work with their private IP addresses and log into the ClearOS webconfig
> using 192.168.1.1. I can use RDP to connect to a Windows server on the
> LAN that has no public IP address.

> There's stuff online about how to set up Windows to either have the
> browser go through the VPN or not, but I haven't found anything about
> how to do it in Linux.

There is dialog for VPN connection DNS settings in NetworkManager.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383