[GRLUG] Postfix Error info

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Sep 10 12:55:26 EDT 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, megadave wrote:

> Do you know the IP address of the sender host? Does it show in the logs?
> Have you checked to see if it has a PTR record, with a matching A record?

Of course, .. but that isn't the point, is it?

We run Postfix on a lot of systems, .. what I need is some pointers to
definitive reasons for the errors that Postfix logs.

> I use Exim. If it rejects a host, it clearly shows the IP address of the
> rejected server, as well as the specific configured reason it was rejected,
> wether thts based on IP address, remote hostname, sender address or domain,
> etc). It shows the HELO name given by the server.

Interesting, .. it would seem that Exim errors are pretty detailed:

2013-09-10 11:48:20 [26739] SMTP connection from (asp3.picsightly.com)
[173.232.185.87]:31375 I=[198.46.86.21]:25 closed by DROP in ACL

2013-09-10 11:48:18 [26772] no MAIL in SMTP connection from localhost
[127.0.0.1]:57599 I=[127.0.0.1]:25 D=0s
A=courier_plain:__cpanel__service__auth__exim__qoSALPdhlekDjXf6ox3DgSooewwCBSmtPgeLB0LZnXVrGdNonddvnLPIuSnrEQEE
C=EHLO,AUTH,QUIT

I have also seen some benefits in Exim (rate limiting, for example), but
none of the major distros use it. Interesting, however, that the link to
New User documentation is nonfunctionsl?

> I can even "fake" a connection from a specified IP address, and see what
> checks it is processing as it performs them, and see if/where it fails a
> check, based on what information.

How complicated is the config for Exim WRT SPAM/Virus/Blasklist? Will it
do a 'milter' style process (i.e. reject SPAM before accepting)?

	Thanks!

	Lee