[GRLUG] Any sendmail folks out there?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 29 08:39:42 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 19:55 -0400, Mark Farver wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >> Well... OK, you refuse to follow what I said and argue with me. I;ve
> >> been using sendmail for nearly 15 years and Exim for about 12.
> > OK, then, how about going back to the original question - how does one
> > configure a smarthost if the FQDN is not valid?
> My recommendation: install the sstmp rpm package (it is available from
> EPEL) and remove sendmail.  ssmtp is happy to accept a IP address for
> its smarthost.  It does not handle mail delivery and thus it is much
> simpler to configure.  If you don't uninstall sendmail use the
> alternatives command to switch the sendmail binary symlink to use the
> ssmtp one.  Postfix too should handle an IP in the relayhost field.

I would recommend:

  (a) Killing sendmail; especially if it is just a relay.  Use Postfix,
the configuration is easier, the documentation better, and the logging
better.

<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2012/02/configuring-postfix-as-smtp-client.html>

     Just using Postfix is 'normal'.

  (b) Fix your DNS.  Using an IP address or non-qualified host name is
*bad*.  It will break any form of security as well as introducing
fragility.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383