[GRLUG] Getting a straight connection from Comcast

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Oct 26 15:33:49 EDT 2013

Matt Behrens <matt at zigg.com> wrote:
>On Oct 26, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net>
>wrote:
>> Comcast blocks *all* outgoing connections to port 25 outside of its
>> network.
>Right, so does AT&T.

Tier 2 technical support will remove this restriction, at least on a business account.  No fuss, I've done it twice via the chat support, both times in less than 10 minutes.

>> IOW, any delivery from your DHCP / Dynamic Address, will not work.
>> Unless you have a static IP Address with a Business Account.
>I have my own domain, and how I’ve been getting this to work is via
>AT&T’s relay.  They require an SSL connection (port 993), require you
>to authenticate to use it, and finally also require you to whitelist
>additional email addresses you will be sending mail from (e.g.
>matt at zigg.com.)  But yes, I’m not delivering directly.

Yep.  That works in the number of source addresses is small.  If it is large that is a pain; and I believe there is some limit to the number of addresses you can whitelist.

Alternatively relay through a VPS somewhere else.  I've found putting services on my Linode is the simplest thing to do.

--
Adam Tauno Williams