[GRLUG] Comcast dual stack IPV6 spotted in Muskegon

Eric Yagerlener eyagerlist at eyager.net
Mon Nov 25 06:36:24 EST 2013

I'd have to agree with your assessment.   I've ran IPV6 with he.net
tunnelbroker for years and after 24 hours of playing with Comcast's
native IPV6, the kludgyness of Comcast's DHCPv6 is readily apparent.
Comcast's implementation isn't really respecting the promised lifetime
of the prefix it is handing out.   Should your cable modem reset for
any reason, ie a T4 timeout, it appears the lease will be silently
cancelled by the CMTS and the DHCPv6 client will be none the wiser and
the IPV6 connection will be dead.  There are tons of complaints and
bug reports out there about Comcast's IPV6 prefix delegations failing
to renew when it naturally expires or whenever the modem resets
causing IPV6 to drop.

If I get the time, I'll have to get a linux box with 2 NICS and do the
debugging on why comcast's prefixes delegations get terminated early.
In the meantime, it's back to IPV4 and tunnelbroker.   At least with
tunnelbroker your IPV6 prefix is set in stone, with Comcast, it will
change on a whim.   I thought the reasoning behind IPV6 is that
addresses won't by scarce.  I don't quite understand why Comcast isn't
using the same sticky persistence as they are when handing out V4
addresses.