[GRLUG] brain dead re bootloader

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sun May 12 08:27:05 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-12 at 08:04 -0400, Patrick Goupell wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 10:40 AM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > My old (ca 2003) Sony is dual boot with an old fedora and XP. It's been
> > set for so long to boot directly to Windows that I can't remember how to
> > get the boot loader prompt to tell it to boot to fedora. Don't even
> > remember if it's GRUB or LILO.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out here? I suspect it's LILO.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> Press the escape key when the boot menu appears.
>
> Arrow up / down to select fedora.
>
> In fedora update /boot/grub/grub.cfg for grub or /boot/menu.lst for lilo
> (I think).
>
> Update /etc/inittab for the default boot option.
>
> Do a search for whichever boot loader you have for more info.
>
> Patrick
The trouble is the boot menu is not showing at all. It goes directly to
Windows as the default. I wonder if maybe I set the time it waits before
going to default too short. If that's what happened, is there any way to
get at the boot menu?

I haven't had luck booting from a live CD since the CD drive mounts
through the pcmcia drive and at some point in the boot process (after
initially seeing the CD) the computer no longer finds it on the pcmcia.