[GRLUG] Speed slump?

Chris Wieringa chris at wieringafamily.com
Thu May 2 10:23:46 EDT 2013

I personally haven't seen an issue, but I do have issues time to time that
are extremely local to my neighborhood.

Couple things to check:
1.  If you can get to 192.168.100.1 - this should be your cable modem's
internal IP ranges.  Check your signal levels, compare them to the listings
on http://www.speedguide.net/articles/cable-modem-signal-levels-1197 .  If
you are getting to a fringe on signal levels this can greatly change your
speeds.  You can do some re-engineering internal to your house by reducing
splits, adding splits, etc to get to optimal levels and making sure you
have all your house taps connected, or disconnected correctly (with
appropriate cable caps).  Additional devices on the cable plant in your
house may be adding signal interference.
2.  Ask your neighbors.  Having 2-3 people in a neighborhood call at once
can help Comcast come to the conclusion that there may be issues with a
local neighborhood not an individual connection.
3.  Hard-power cycle your cable modem and router.
4.  If you can figure out that your first or second hops out (tracert) are
causing issues (I've seen this before), if you "change" your MAC address on
your router you may get a new IP range with different initial hops.
 Comcast has several ranges that they load-balance connections between,
although they tend to stick once assigned to a particular IP pool.

Just a few debugging things I've done with my own connection.

Chris