[GRLUG] clipboard query

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 00:22:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Eric Beversluis <
ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 21:08 -0400, Topher wrote:
> > On 03/20/2013 09:06 PM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > > I'm looking at
> > >
> http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/javascript-ajax/exactly-how-to-create-a-custom-jquery-accordion/
> .
> > >
> > > Each bit of code there has a prompt "copy to clipboard" and when you
> > > click it, an alert tells you the code is now on the clipboard. But when
> > > I try to paste it into a text editor, nothing pastes. What am I
> missing?
> > > Or is it just broken?

> > It's possible it simply doesn't work in Linux because the flash copier
> > tries to put it someplace it can't.

> Not sure what
> having that 'copy to clipboard' adds, if you have to select all the code
> first anyway, given ease of ctrl-c and ctrl-v or of right-click and
> 'copy.' What I was hoping for was something that saved the bother of
> manually selecting all the code in the snippet.
>
> If you select the code and use the usual ctrl-c, all three methods of
> pasting give you that selection. Again, if you've selected and used the
> 'copy to clipboard' function, only the middle button gives that
> selection. ctrl-v gives whatever was previously in the clipboard.

Interesting - on a Mac (OSX 10.8.2), the "copy to clipboard" does something
different - I haven't found where it copies to, so it seems pointless.
Selecting the original text pastes rich text into TextEdit (rich text
mode), or plain text into plain text mode or a text editor. The "view
plain" option looked better (lose the line numbers), but since I can
copy/paste from the original (line numbers show but aren't copied), that's
pointless too.

I tried the operation in Ubuntu (pasted link from Mac to Ubuntu with
Synergy), and the "copy to clipboard" item places text into clipboard
accessed through center button, not right-click paste. Pretty useless if
they have these conveniences, but don't have clues how to use them.

I think the Source download button (Get the code) would be much easier
overall, if it actually works.

--Don Ellis