[GRLUG] VPS disagreement

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 15:27:48 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM, desert frag <desertfrag at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The results have consistently shown one server to produce lower cpu %
> utilization scores than another over the past few days.  Since you're
> suggesting one node is more taxed than another then they haven't been up
> front.  I will mention this in mind in my reply.  Thank you.

I also have a chicagovps account - 3Gb ram / 100Gb disk / 2.5TB
transfer @ $21 / quarter - and they're very up front about the fact
that they use SolusVM - a linux containers based solution.  The
resources on each host under Solus are shared much more freely than
with hypervisors like Xen or KVM.  Ram is overcomitted and deduped,
just like the disks are.  Everyone's processes run on the same kernel
- though you shouldn't be able to break out of your container to see
what others are running.

If you're looking for something that does cycle-perfect emulation and
guarantees isolated performance, look into Linode or similar.  Their
prices, however, are MUCH higher.

--tim