[GRLUG] Thunderbird and hjkl

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Mar 6 09:45:59 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:35:53AM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
>
> > > That way you don't get yourself in trouble using keystrokes from 30 years
> > > ago.
> >
> > Troll. ;)
> >
> Maybe, ..
>
> > I spend so much time in vim often I find myself instinctively pressing j
> > k h l in all kinds of apps, only to discover (remember?) that I'm not in
> > vim. A vim navigation overlay would be incredible across all apps.
> >
> So, .. you want to fiddle with ALL applications just to match ONE so
> arcane that it doesn't support keys on a modern keyboard that has, in
> itself, been standard for 20 years? And you call ME a Troll <g>??

Yup. And it _does_ support keys on a modern keyboard; my Logitech
keyboard is less than a year old and it has hjkl, all right in a row,
just as one would expect.  (And yes, I know the origins of those letters
as navigation keys.)

Arcane? Bah. Everything is intuitive once you know it. I haven't thought
about how to move around in vim in a long time. That's why I find myself
in LibreOffice Calc hitting h, j, k, or l and then hitting ESC when I
realize I'm in "insert mode," only to realize further that I'm not in
vim.
--
john-thomas
------