[GRLUG] TONIGHT

Casey DuBois casey at grlug.org
Wed Jun 19 16:27:30 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

What's Goin On??

Oh yea it's the GRLUG/GRMakers Social from 8PM till Midnight but everyone
is welcome to come earlier and stay later as the 4th Floor space is OPEN
NOW!!

We NEED Drinks, ICE, Chips and Snacks so bring whatever you would like to
share!!

THANKS to everyone that helped us get 6 more GREAT work benches today!

THANKS to everyone that has helped us with Power Washing the Boiler Room,
we've made some progress but it's not going as fast as we had hoped.
We are testing some Citrus Strip tonight to see if we can get it go move
any faster.
Here's what we need from you:

1. we have a power washer on loan from one of our members but it seems to
have sat too long and might have bad gas, so we need some people with the
skillz to help get this honda motor running again so we can use this power
washer.

2. we need more volunteers to offer their time to get the paint off the
walls so please call or email me to get your name on the list.

Here's the details for TONIGHT!!

Come join us at our new location at 401 Hall St SW, 4th Floor!

The Boiler Room is currently being built out for us, but we are meeting on
the fourth floor in a space being provided to us just down the hall from
Mutually Human.  We will now be using the entrance by the Boiler Room as
our main entrance.  Park in front of the Boiler Room, walk along the left
side of the building until you see the door just to the right of the under
building parking entrance.  After you enter this door, you then can either
take the door to the left and walk the length of the parking structure to
get to the elevator and go up to the fourth floor or you can go up the
stairs to the fourth floor and walk down the hall until you reach our
temporary space.  There will be signs for both directions to help you find
us in case this is confusing.

Getting the Space Ready!

We are in the process of cleaning the walls and preparing for the next step
in the build out process.  Any help you can offer is more than welcome.  We
are in the process of preparing a sign up/calender so that we can work as a
team to make this dream come true.  We require that people are there in
pairs for safety and get instruction from Casey or another informed member
on the use of the tools in the space the the techniques used for best
results.  Thank you all for your support in this labor intensive step!

"What's Going On??"  (Formerly known as Five Minutes of Fame)

This is an idea we are actively stealing from Noisebridge Hackerspace in
San Francisco CA. "What's Going On??" is thirty minutes at 9 pm where six
people can have an open mic to talk about whatever topic interests them.
 This is NOT limited to technology or topics pertaining to GRMakers, but
can be anything of interest that you can teach to the crowd! If you want to
speak, there will be a signup when you walk in the door and you will have
access to a whiteboard and projector.  Just remember, you only have five
minutes to speak, but a whole night to clarify to anyone who is interested.
 Our community is defined by the brilliance of our members and "What's
Going On??" gives you an opportunity to shine!  One new element that has
been added is that we are video taping the "What's Going On??" sessions for
the Youtube channel.  If you are not comfortable with this, let us know and
we will not record it.  We want you to share and will work to make you as
comfortable in this sharing environment!

As usual:

Note that we will have tables and chairs and coolers with drinks and some
snacks donated by our loving community, but we won't be moving the tools
into the space until The Boiler Room is ready for us.  We do, however,
encourage you to bring your projects and your ideas into this temporary
space to make it feel like home during these growing pains. Thank you so
much for your support.

We MAKE things and help others with their projects, Everyone is encouraged
to bring their own projects to work on and show off.

Casey DuBois
616-808-6942
casey at grlug.org