[GRLUG] cron job an password

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Jun 11 15:06:14 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 10:07 -0400, Topher wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>
> > How can I set a cron job to do mysqldump without hardcoding the mysql
> > root password into the cron command? (It looks like anyone can read the
> > various cron files.)
>
> Actually, cron jobs can only be read by the people who create them.  So if
> you create a job as root, only root can see and edit it I believe.  It's
> annoyed me in the past that this is the case.  :)
>
> Topher

Only the tools for "crontab editing" can see the files that they
created. They cannot see their own files after being created or edited,
in a properly setup distro/system (which is most of them anyway in this
day and age.)

Now if he is talking the files in /etc/cron.d or cron.daily etc...
different story.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Our happiness depends on wisdom all the way."
    -- Sophocles