[GRLUG] Newbie Network Quality Question

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:52:44 EST 2013

I use this,  speakeasy.net/speedtest, and
Comcast's own,  http://speedtest.comcast.net/,
to see if there's any consistency between the
three.  I mostly use the Washington, DC, test
point.

Last weekend my service, Comcast, was
weird.  I was getting very low speed results,
relative to nominal.  It's back to "normal" now,
but the episode did last much of the weekend.

I was getting a few megabits down, which
is a small fraction of what I was paying for.

Don't even thing of using different test
points for your tests, because those vary
widely too.

For what it's wroth, Comcast has test
locations in at least Chicago, Detroit,
and DC.  You'd expect those would be
kept running well, if only for advertising
purposes.  But over the weekend the
results were crummy, so something was
indeed going on in my experience.

   -- Bob