[GRLUG] help with setting up email server

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Feb 28 07:37:45 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 10:59 -0500, detrix42 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone. I recently set up a web/email server.  I am new to
> setting up the email part.  I am using postfix (if there is a better
> mail server please suggest it),

Nope, Postfix is the leading MTA.

> along with alpine email reader.

Sweet, alpine is really fast.

> My current question is more about alpine.  When I tried to send a test
> message, it said I did not have a tls certificate.  How do I get/set
> one up?

You can buy a server certificate from GoDaddy, and it will be
automatically recognized.

Otherwise you can generate a CA certificate, and then issue a
certificate for you server to yourself.  You'll need to install the CA
certificate in the relevant places.