[GRLUG] help with setting up email server

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Feb 28 11:15:16 EST 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, detrix42 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi everyone. I recently set up a web/email server.  I am new to setting up
> the email part.  I am using postfix (if there is a better mail server
> please suggest it), along with alpine email reader.  My current question is
> more about alpine.  When I tried to send a test message, it said I did not
> have a tls certificate.  How do I get/set one up?

Most simple servers don't use tls, .. normally you can continue sending
with a "y"es to continue?

How are you sending email? Simplest is to use a smarthost, forwarding via
your ISPs email server, or gmail. Both will require authentication, ..
google has a ton of configuration examples.

> Also, what do I need to do on my DNS record to that I can get emails. I
> tried to send me a test email from my gmail, but it failed.  So what am I
> missing?

Unless you have a static IP (probably not), don't even try to send/receive
yourself. Most servers reject a dynamic IP without any other checking
(except for Google, of course, as they harvest your email address so they
can sell it).

	Lee