[GRLUG] Dumb rsync question

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:30:46 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>
> > What you probably want is the --relative option.
> >
> Yep! That's what I said, .. dumb question <g>!

 I disagree.

The question brought up one of the features of rsync I hadn't noticed
before (but had been annoyed by not having known).

Lists like this should have a practice of regularly asking a question that
everyone should know the answer of, but just might not (or might have
slipped from memory). Just about anything about rsync, ssh, init.d or rc.d,
X11 and a number of other topics could be helpful even to the more
experienced members. There is always some feature we may have noticed in
passing (or not) but would like further instruction on. Remember, the man
pages were mostly meant to refresh our memory of something we already know,
but are seldom really helpful for learning a new feature.

--Don Ellis