[GRLUG] Testing CUPS

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Dec 27 15:52:36 EST 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 14:29 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > Then fix /etc/hosts on the CUPS server to resolve 10.0.0.1 to
> > marvel.omnitec.net.
> >
> Ahh, .. why would I add an entry into /etc/hosts with a bogus hostname?
>
> 10.0.0.1 = CUPS Client machine trying to print or open the CUPS web page
> on :631
> 10.0.0.254 = Borked CUPS Server
>
> > If you are relying on configured host names for everything versus
> > rendezvous/.local auto resolution... then you have to keep on top of
> > this all the time.
> >
> Absolutely no clue what you are describing, .. all hostnames are dns
> based.

Multicast DNS Service Discovery allows applications to publish and
resolve mDNS/DNS-SD records including hostname.

http://avahi.org/

Apple calls it "Bonjour"

Microsoft calls it "UPnP"
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Friendship is Love without his wings!"
    -- Lord Byron