[GRLUG] using flock

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Dec 24 22:23:46 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 12:30 -0500, Dave Chiodo wrote:
> Might I humbly suggest - have the mysqldump output to a file with a
> timestamp instead of overwriting the old one.
>
> Eg sysmysqldump-2013-12-24:12:00.sql. (using the current date).
>
> The have another script going back and removing older dumps (up to you
> how many to retain)

I use Duplicity and number of iterations and incrementals with a policy
of a minimum of 101 days old.

I have 28 day rotations of full and then incrementals.

It works very slick and can backup to a "location" that i then rsync
daily out to rsync.net for geo-redundant replication.

I do this for all the mysql dumps and all of the other files I manage. I
also can do remotes from other machines through duplicity.

Best part is all the backups are fully encrypted automagically before
they get replicated out to rysnc.net, so I don't particularly care if
someone copies them. And it is PCI DSS v2.X and already (coming real
soon now) PCI DSS v3.X compliant...
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything."
    -- Thomas Carlyle