[GRLUG] remote temperature monitoring

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 18 14:16:01 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 09:30 -0500, Mark Farver wrote:
> A simple trick for a "digital" temp sensor is to use a thermostat.
> Buy a 10-20$ thermostat that is battery operated.  Wire the heat
> contacts to +VCC and one of the GPIO pins on a Pi or Arduino.  Set it
> for whatever alarm temp you want it to go off at (55F is usually the
> lowest.)  When it drops below that temp the contact close as the
> thermostat tries to turn on the "heat"
> It looks like a Pi has good support for the Dallas One-Wire Temp
> sensors if you want to know absolute temp:
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/temperature/

Finally a real-world practical use for a Pi!  This it the first one I
have ever seen.

This is a great idea as our experience with commercial environmental
monitoring devices has been less than stellar.  I'd be very happy to
having something that just chugged poll results into syslog; if it could
generate an SNMP trap that would be extra awesome.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383