[GRLUG] dead computer

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Tue Dec 17 10:16:09 EST 2013

On 12/16/2013 08:19 PM, Cprossu wrote:
> I see all the hard stuff has been discussed. Make sure your cmos
> battery has the correct charge/isn't shorted, I've had ECS boards
> refuse to post due to that before (it will be a CR2032 lithium button
> battery on your motherboard between the pcie and pci slots). If it
> still doesn't boot with a battery swap, try the clear cmos jumper.
> Like others here I'd check the few electrolytic caps on the
> motherboard (Actually scratch that, report back of the solid caps that
> are installed on that board are 'through-hole' or not, I wonder if
> these are the badly made 'lytics from a while ago that were made to
> 'look like' solid caps), then swap out the ram, then try another power
> supply. I'd try a video card too for the heck of it, even if it's an
> older PCI one. The good news is that if it is your motherboard, you
> can pick up something fairly cheap (like $55) off of newegg or
> something (I'd recommend like a Asus M6A78L-M Plus), and if it ends up
> being your ram, 4gb of kingston ddr3 1333 is currently going for
> around $30. Either way cheap fix.

Was in the computer this morning.

Unplugged everything and inspected the motherboard.  Did not see
anything that looked like bad / leaking capacitors (or anything else).

Plugged everything back together and hit the power button.

It came on with the following bios message:

DQS training failed on previous boot.   Reverted to slower dram speed.

So I don't know what the problem was.  Will hope that it doesn't come back.

Patrick