[GRLUG] dead computer

patrick at upmerchants.com patrick at upmerchants.com
Mon Dec 16 09:48:00 EST 2013

Hello,

My computer died this morning.  Over the past week it has been having
hard lockups where I need to power off and back on to get it to work.

No problem messages of any kind in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/syslog when I checked it astre restart.

I did get a bios message once, something about the "dram" setting.
Did not record it so cannot say amy more about it.

Power supply looks good when plugged into a power judge tester.

system consists of:

ECS A780LM-M2 AMD 760G Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket AM3, AMD 760G
Chipset, 1800MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA II (3Gb/s), RAID, Radeon HD 3000
Graphics, 6-CH Audio, Fast Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0 MPN:  A780LM-M2
(10/100)

AMD AD610EHDK42GM Athlon II X4 610e Processor - Quad Core, 2MB L2
Cache, 2.40GHz, Socket AM3, 45W, No Fan, OEM MPN:  AD610EHDK42GM

Thermaltake CL-P0503 CPU Cooler - 70mm Fan, Rifle Bearing, Socket AM2,
AM2+, AM3, 754, 939 MPN:  CL-P0503

ADATA Premier Series AD3U1333C4G9-SH 4GB Desktop Memory Module -
PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM

Diablotek CPA-0170 Diamond ATX Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 400W
PSU, 2x Int 5.25" x 1x Ext 3.5", 2x Int 3.5", 2x Front USB 2.0 Ports,
Black
MPN:  CPA-0170

Unfortunately I don't have any other machine / parts to swap around to
see if it will revive.

Any ideas as to what could be the most likely cause / what parts to
start replacing first?

Thank you.

Patrick