[GRLUG] Home Server recomendations

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Dec 2 10:33:33 EST 2013

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Benjamin Flanders wrote:

> Short Story:
> Building a server for home and I am looking for a power efficient box.
>
> Is it possible to troubleshoot what I destroyed when the computer doesn't
> power on at all, hitting the power button yields nothing.

That sounds like the power supply, .. a DMM could be useful to spot the
exact problem, but finding a replacement power supply could be problematic
depending on the HW age.

My recommendation would be to consider better HW - we have had good luck
with HP MicroServers. About $300 for the chassis, with four SATA drive
slots, supports Linux just fine (we use SuSE).

I do not know how the CPU would compare with your S/W requirements for
media handling, however, ..

	Good luck!

	Lee