[GRLUG] #grlug, #grmakers

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:48:13 EDT 2013

I'd been approached or otherwise remarked two a couple times by LUG
folks about #grlug having too little a signal-to-noise ratio on LUG
topics. It'd become pretty dominated by maker topics. I expect the
reason I was on the receiving end of these comments was because the
people making them didn't want to be seen as making waves, or because
they were otherwise pretty passive on the subject.

It turns out there's a #grmakers IRC channel. Most of the maker
discussion has been moved over there.

All this really means is that the maker topics should probably default
to #grmakers, so that #grlug can resume having followable conversations
about Linux and general sysadmin stuff. Are there clear boundaries? No.
Is the separation brutally enforced? Of course not! (How could there be?
Nobody has ops...)

Understand that this isn't about any animosity toward the maker folks.
GRMakers has grown up and gotten a bit big for #grlug, so it was time
for GRMakers to leave the nest. And there's still a huge amount of
overlap between the two groups (and there always will be), and the
groups will always be on friendly terms.