[GRLUG] OpenSWAN, LINUX, & VRF [Was: VPN Help]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 4 20:03:29 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 18:54 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> I replaced a CISCO something or other with an 850MHz PIII "Network
> Blazer" 1U machine in mid-2007. I had 15 B-to-B VPNs going to it from
> many disparate systems. All of them worked with OpenSWAN even back then,
> mainly because of the wonderful documentation they still have. It has
> one thing bad about it, it was information dense and tough for the
> uninitiated to understand. But read through it 5 or 6 times and it
> should just click.

I haven't looked in awhile; but is there a LINUX / iptables equivalent
to VRF [Virtual Router Framework]?  Which allows the LINUX kernel to
host multiple independent routing tables assigned to grouped/labeled
interfaces?

A quick scan of the interwebz finds <http://linux-vrf.sourceforge.net/>
which smells experimental [but at least reasonably current].

Perhaps the kernel has something similar under a different name?

VRF makes configuration of tunnels and security zones dramatically
simpler.