[GRLUG] VPN Help

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 4 17:44:51 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 16:34 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 10:17 PM 8/2/2013, Greg Folkert wrote:
> >I'd forgo the Linksys POSs and just dump a cheap Linux machine on each
> >end of the links.
> Don't know of many business that would want a cobbled-together
> machine vs.

I don't know many business that would know enough to ask anything beyond
'is it working?'   And OpenSWAN is hardled 'cobbled';  their
documentation is quite good, and they've been around since IPSec was a
glimmer in a frustrated net-admin's eye.

> something new from a vendor with a warranty, ..

A piece of crap from a vendor being dumped by its parent and with a
support life-cycle roughly equivalent to how long it took you to walk
out the door.  Put the manual on a thumbdrive and duct-tape it to the
device [seriously!] - because six months from now you [or the poor sod
who inherits this thing] will not be able to find anything at all about
this unit.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>
System Administrator, OpenGroupware Developer, LPI / CNA