[GRLUG] Asterisk?

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 15:07:02 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 scott.tanner at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I inherited an Altigen PBX Server last year; its in a 4U chassis with
> > several line cards. I never powered it up and I'm not sure if any of the
> > hardware is compatible with Asterisk ( and its probably old enough to
> > legally drive in most states ) but your welcome to it!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Scott
> >
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for the offer, .. but we would not have any room for something that
> big.
>
> Looking for more something on the order of a small router size, .. as we
> only need one or two analog lines; incoming and phones will be SIP.
>
>         Lee

Lee,
If you can put together an Asterisk box but must keep a few must-have
analogs you can use a simple ATA to make them SIP addressable.
Such as this: http://www.telephonydepot.com/Grandstream-HandyTone-701-HT701
You could also keep it server side by using (more expensive) FXO/FXS analog
cards in the box.

If space is a true concern... there's always the Raspberry Pi!
http://nerdvittles.com/?p=3026
That should handle a couple dozen extensions and some channels without an
issue.
Extension recording would kill such a low end device I assume.

If you are receiving incoming via SIP then you're sitting fairly simple.

Hope that Helps,

(P.S. I have dozens of Polycom IP 301 phones if you or anyone else needs
them)