[GRLUG] need some script help

Dave Chiodo megadave at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:08:36 EDT 2013

Gotta be wary of filenames with spaces though.

For instance, if files were

Movie1.mp4
Long Movie.mp4

A for-loop on that could easily end up doing:

mv Movie1.mp4 Movie1.avi
mv Long Long
mv Movie.mp4 Movie.avi

Also gotta watch for .mp4 vs .MP4 - windows f/s are not case
sensitive, but *nix are.

Movie.mp4 and Movie.MP4 are two different files on a *nix system and
MOVIE.mp4 is yet a third.

As far as WHY the xbox doesn't work when the file is called mp4 and
does when its avi, its due to MS foolish use of file extensions
instead of contents of the file or something more standard to
determine what the type of data is.

For a really long explanation of the issues, that is written from a
Mac perspective (OSX is *nix), see
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2001/08/metadata/

(Sadly, its one of those spread-across-multiple-pages aticles and I
couldn't find a one-page version of it. Its also quite old, but its
points are still valid, even if they are now forgone lost-causes)