[GRLUG] modems etc

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Sat Apr 13 17:45:23 EDT 2013

I've been watching the conversation about Comcast and it raised some
questions for me.  I suck at hardware, so I'm helping ya'll can help.

I'm paying about $60/mo for the net part of my comcast bill, and I get
about 12 down and 2.5 up.  That sounds lower than what I've seen you
guys talking about for the price.

I'm using the same modem comcast gave me years ago, and I'm guessing a
DOCSIS3 modem would help me.  What is it, and where could I get one?

I'm using a relatively new netgear wifi router, and I'd be reluctant to
spend money for something new there unless it's very obviously a
horrible bottle neck.

Thoughts?

Topher