[GRLUG] Access or Base?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Apr 8 21:16:53 EDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Eric Beversluis wrote:

> I haven't seen it yet but my understanding is it's more of a financial
> advisor/markets-analysis DB.
>
> Apparently he also extensively dumps data to Excel and has many macros
> he uses there.

That could be problematic, it is very easy to create very complesx VBA
code in Excel that can only be used in Excel. That is one of MS marketing
tactics <b>!

> I guess I'd like to know that he'd still be able to count on Access 2007
> in 10 years. I recently struggled with a project for a widow whose
> husband had built an elaborate Access/VBA project but never upgraded
> from Access 2000. While I was connected with the project we never were
> able to get it properly upgraded to Access 2010, using an outside firm
> who specialized in Access/VBA.

You will not have *vendor* support, but who needs it? There are tons of
forum sites that specialize in Access - just google a problem and you
swill see numerous answers.

In reality, Access has become more of a community product than some Open
Source ones!

> The reason we "had" to upgrade was that the old system (Access 2000)
> wouldn't run at all on Win7 64-bit.

Yes, that was a major step, the reason we went to '07 in 2010. It is fully
backwards compatible however - I update A2K databases all the time (in A3K
format) and send them back to XP machines with the A2K runtime (which is
free, btw).

> -Are you saying to migrate to Access first and then to MySQL?
> -Are you saying it's better to use Access with MySQL than with SQL
> Server?

No, two different systems. MySQL is a dataqbase - Access is an IDE that
happens to have a simple database built-in.

You can move your *data* to MySQL fairly simply by creating an ODBC data
source from the FoxPro application.

Forms and reports will have to be recreated in whatever IDE or
webframework that is choosenn.

> So there's no equivalent to the VBA/Access relation in LO Base?

Correct.

> When I read the Base section of LO Getting Started, there are several
> references to a "Base User Guide." But I haven't been able to find that
> document. Does anyone know if the reference in "Getting Started" is
> merely a promissory note?

Far simpler to create your datasource, create a Base application, and see
what you can create.

As soon as you run into a question, Google is the best resource.

	Lee