[GRLUG] Can't upgrade to Fedora 17

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Mon Sep 24 20:49:42 EDT 2012

On 9/24/2012 7:57 PM, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 05:47:38PM -0400, Steve Romanow wrote:
>> Installation is where I always have drama with Fedora.
> Is there something inherent in RPM-based distros that prevent
> incremental updating similar to Debian?  Not a troll; serious question.
It's supposed to work.  But my experience is limited, as I tend to put
off updating till I need something radical. The Fedora "preupdate" is
supposed to do all the downloading while you do your regular work on the
computer and then do the upgrade on the next reboot.  But for some
reason it didn't work in my case.

The reason I'm with Fedora now is that a year ago I couldn't get Ubuntu
to work on my new Lenovo and I think I had problems with SUSE also.  All
those problems, I think, had to do with the confusion around how to boot
using UEFI. For example, it took several days of pain before I found out
I needed a FAT 16 partition for UEFI booting....  Starting Dec 2011
LinJourn had a several-part series on UEFI that showed too many
complexities, possibilities and variations for me to want to hassle with
trying to get clear about. And then there's the whole issue about Win 8
and locking out other OSs...

Progress report: the F17 Live CD booted fine after I switched the Legacy
Boot Priority back to UEFI...  Now we'll see whether it installs OK.

EB