[GRLUG] clean install and date modified

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Mon Sep 24 09:24:01 EDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 09:11 AM, megadave wrote:
> FYI, this might be one good reason for keeping /home on a separate
> partition (or even a separate drive, if you have one) than the rest of
> the system. All you'd need to do would be to install again, and just
> tell the installer NOT to format /home (or dont even mount it during
> the new install, just install with no separate /home, leaving the 2nd
> drive alone, and then fixup the mounts after the new system was
> running.)

As a general practice I do not place the home directory on a separate
partition, but I do keep all of my personal files on a separate partition.

I do that because at one time I was trying out different linux installs
and kept home on a separate patition.

Sometimes the "hidden profile/config" files for applications changed and
I got "flakey" results booting between different linux distributions/
releases.

So now I keep my personal files on a separate partition and add a
symlink to it in my home directory.

Application "profile/config" files I want to keep (like
firefox/iceweasel, thunderbird/icedove, etc) I also keep on the separate
partition and update the appropriate "profiles/config" files or create a
symlink to it after the install of the os.

This method also cleans out all of the no longer used "profile/config"
files from different apps I tried but decided to not use.

Patrick