[GRLUG] Top %wa

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Sep 23 18:15:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 15:52 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Seeing what I would condider an extraordinarly high %wa (95%+), .. which
> is flipping with 95% id!
> I/O is minimal on this system (it's a Nagios box), anyone have a thought
> as to what might be causing the excessive wait times?
> Check dmesg & messages, no indication of a hardware failure.

What services are running on the box?

Do you see a crazy number of open network connections [netstat --tcp]?

In gnome-system-monitor you can easily see the "Waiting Channel" of
processes; you can probably fumble around to get the same in "top".

If you run "dstat" for a few minutes what does it's counters look like?

Is your high wait time also accompanied by a very high load average or
is the load average low?