[GRLUG] NOT LINUX

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:16:56 EDT 2012

So, isn't it helpful to see what's available, so you can choose among
the competition? <irony>

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found Comcast adequately reliable
> for the last couple of years.  Value?
> Hard to say.  I don't have any viable
> alternative.

We don't have Comcast here, so I chose Charter. Tried AT&T DSL once,
not impressed.

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > http://omnibus.bobanna.com/isp_ratings/
>> >
>> > Ratings of home ISP's.
>> >
>> > It's hard to say whether CR's criteria have
>> > changed a lot in four years, leading it to say
>> > that no ISP now offers much value, or
>> > whether the ISPs have in some what brought
>> > this on themselves.

How relevant is the rating of twenty or so ISPs you don't have access
to? You can only compare the brands available locally, without knowing
if the brand shown has any relation to the brand you have access to.
How does AT&T compare with AT&T anywhere else. That company in
particular is a patchwork made of a bunch of disparate local
companies, not the AT&T of my childhood.

>> > Of more importance are the relative ratings,
>> > which having changed much.  WOW and FiOS
>> > rock, and the rest are mostly all that is available
>> > in a given area.

And, is it the same carrier in your area going by the same name?

>> There is one trend worth observing: ISPs based on technology requiring
>> newer infrastructure (i.e. FiOS) rate higher. One thing not reflected
>> in the CR data is availability; FiOS is exceedingly uncommon, and is
>> not expanding rapidly, contrary to what the CR buying guide currently
>> (I checked) states.

Depends a bit on what you consider rapid, I suppose. Not present here
(St Louis MO) at all, so installing one line would be expansion.

All the same, I'd like to see how Google rates when their Giganet
installation is old enough to be rated.

--Don Ellis (St Louis MO)