[GRLUG] NOT LINUX

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:56:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good points.  I think Verizon has
> essentially stopped expanding FiOS,
> for reasons unclear.
>
> It would be interesting what the more
> technical people here have to say
> about those they have experience with.

Comcast has been reliable for me for the past year, where I've had it
at Brookmeadow N apartments.

OTOH, it's been unreliable at my grandmothers' on 27th street in Grandville.

For cable, it boils down to which loop you're sitting on...and when
Comcast moved into the area, they bought out the previous cable TV
provider (I don't remember their name), so there's a lot of
infrastructure artifacts still left over.

ADSL has its obvious variances based on how far you are from the
exchange point. (I can't remember the name atm.)

> I've found Comcast adequately reliable
> for the last couple of years.  Value?
> Hard to say.  I don't have any viable
> alternative.

Given that you still have it, I imagine that means its value is "adequate". :)

Mobile broadband offerings are getting better and better, enough so
that for some people it makes sense to use them as their ISP. I get
HSDP (7.2 Mb/s) in some places in Grand Rapids on T-Mobile, and the
newer phones have HDSP+, which moves around 45 Mb/s. But all that is
_highly_ dependent on where you are in relation to the nearest cell
antenna that might be pointed your way. On the bus, my cell data
connection drops out entirely in some places (mostly around Godfrey on
route 8, I think).

[snip]