[GRLUG] Good multifunction printer...

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Oct 17 14:03:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 13:14 -0400, Michael Glaske wrote:
> Looking for a good multifunction printer.  I've had HP printers in the
> past, and they have worked well, however, I have become irritated at
> the toner/ink logic that makes me replace them with their expensive
> ink/causes issues with drivers if you use reman carts, etc.  But I am
> willing to consider that they may be the lesser of two evils.  I have
> used Ricoh printers in the past and love them, although the toner
> price is a bit high, it may be worth it.  I have also used Xerox
> printers and have hated their interfaces and drivers.  Basically what
> I'm looking for is:

Brother MFC-9970CDW

> 1. Color printing, with ink that does not smudge (I have heard that
> some of the brother inkjet printers have special ink)

Laser printer, so no smudging.  Good color consistency.

> 2. Scanning to email that doesn't use an external service.  I want to
> point it at my internal SMTP server.

Yep, I do that.

> 3. Color copying

Yep.

> 4. Network ready. Would prefer gigabit ethernet for fast transfer
> speeds, but 100Mb is okay too. dont' care about wireless.

Network ready, and support IPv6.

> 5. Must support standard languages (PCL PS), that can be used with
> generic drivers if I want to.

Yep.

> 6. Duplex option

Yep.

> 7. Good paper tray - must hold at least 150-200 sheets of paper.

Not sure what the count is.

> 8. Good output tray - must hold at least 20 sheets or so without
> spilling them onto the floor.

Absolutely, I print manuals.

> 9. ADF - must be good and not jam.

Yes, works great.

> 10. Toner cost must be reasonable.  I don't want to spend $400 to
> replace my 4 cartridges.

Same prices as every other printer I've owned or own.

> 11. Must be somewhere between $300 and $600.

High end of that, but you get what you pay for in printer land.  And the
touch-screen user interface is great.