[GRLUG] No screen

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Oct 16 09:18:47 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 12:31 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 09:16 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > > Try booting with acpi_osi=!Linux and see if that makes a difference.
> > Where do I set this?
>
> At boot, just append to the end of the boot string.
Didn't seem to help.
1. Restarted (forced w/power button)
2. 'Esc' to get to boot commands
3. Select second line, "kernel...."
4. 'e' to edit that line
5.  Add 'acpi_osi=!Linux' to that line.
6. 'Enter' to accept the edits.
7. 'b' to boot

But still there is no display after recovery from suspend.

When I restart and go back to the boot command, the 'acpi_osi=!Linux'
was gone. Presumably it did affect the previous boot.

The strange thing is that this problem came on gradually. I had about a
month when the suspend worked fine. Then I occasionally had the problem
mentioned by John-Thomas where closing the lid again resulted in a
proper recovery from suspend. But then one morning nothing but a restart
would get the video back, and that not all the time.

The graphics card is ATI Technologies Inc AMD Radeon HD 6310
GraphicsATI.

Should I reinstall the radeon driver? Or try to use the proprietary API
driver? Or is this an acpi problem?

Thanks.