[GRLUG] globbing

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 13:10:30 EDT 2012

Re hosting business, yes.  Like many things,
there are just two states: everything works
satisfactorily, or "support" desk hell.

As for tech savvy, I just checked godaddy.com.
In part it appears to think that supporting a racecar
and having Danica Patrick imply she's going to
strip is good promotion for its webhosting
business.  Like most places, it confuses
"bandwidth" with the number of bytes you can
transfer a month.  It does have a byte storage
limit, but it's 150GB. Of course it also has a
lot of customers, so I suppose it does something
right.

One always hopes - assumes - there is someone
really technically competent running the basics,
but one can only assume that until they get into
trouble.

But then, I'm only will to spend $75 a year or
so to be able to access a remote hard drive, so
perhaps these services are as good as it gets.
I suspect that 95% or more of hobbyist users
don't pester them with any questions anyway....

   -- Bob

P.S., any tips for getting past tier 1?
Something like "can I speak to your manager."