[GRLUG] globbing

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:40:45 EDT 2012

Filezilla was the hosting site's suggestion
when all the dust settled.

The OS on their end is

CentOS 4.9
Pure-FTPD

Not sure what "Pure-FTPD" means, but
probably basic ftp.

I pretty much knew they couldn't do
anything about the basic situation, since
I'd guess CentOS uses the same basic
ftp package every other distribution uses.
At least at the level of a the basic service
that I have.

The better solution would be to have
an ssh connection, but at the lowest
levels of service this doesn't seem to be
an option.  Another order of magnitude,
or even two, of byte limit for globbing
would be nice in today's world. Richard
Stallman argued 30 years ago that
machine's should have full word lengths
as limits, not the silly, arbitrary limits
that people often in fact use.

Today that would mean essentially
unlimited, but of course his appeal didn't
take, and so we have silly little issues
like this one.

  -- Bob