[GRLUG] ELS

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Wed Nov 28 14:24:02 EST 2012

You've correctly identified the problem with a solution like this. We're
talking about resurrecting an old power-hungry desktop machine which has
less processing power than a Raspberry Pi, modern smartphone, or
reasonably high end consumer grade wireless router!

Unless you need an application server of some kind, you're probably
better off getting a WRT54GL or similar, running OpenWRT on it, and
hanging an external hard drive or printer (via a USB hub if necessary)
off of the USB port. You might have to drop $80 or so for a good enough
router with USB, but how long before you recoup that in electricity
savings? It's probably not very long.

If you want to stick with x86 rather than ARM, another option would be
to make a server out of an old Atom netbook like the ASUS
900-somethings. They're way too slow for real use, but if the USB
controller is decent you could put Linux on the netbook and connect the
hard drive and printer to it. It's still going to have more horsepower
and consume less electricity than an old PIII that you dug out of the
closet.