[GRLUG] Some pixel stuff.

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:50:47 EST 2012

I experienced a similar problem when using a single link DVI cable with a
high resolution monitor like yours. As Jeff mentioned, you need to make
sure your card and cables are all dual link DVI. This does not mean two DVI
ports. In the picture on the left in this article, it means all of the pins
exist as in the 2nd or 4th connector types.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Dual-link_DVI

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <
> awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 15:03 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
>> > <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>>

>> The **** "currently using the VGA output of the card" **** might be
>> relevant.  If you connect the display to the GPU via DVI does it make a
>> difference?
>>

> I have both video card outputs attached
> to the monitor, and simply switch between
> them using the monitor.
>
> VGA works fine at the maximum 2048 x 1280 -
> so says the manufacturer.  It's the DVI connection
> that does not seem to hack it.

>> > Where does that get set?  The maximum
>> > size shown in the "Size and Orientation"
>> > window in "System Settings" is 2560 x 1600.
>>
>> That is a feature of the GPU (video card).  But it can also be part of
>> how you are connecting the GPU to the display.  Display resolutions you
>> are talking about possibly may be DVI only [otherwise you are talking
>> about WQXGA and higher - which I've been told by others can be dicey,
>> that is really at the edge of the hardware.  I've never dealt with them
>> myself].
>>

>> OK, the monitor claims the resolution
> on the DVI connection is much lower
> than the VGA connection.  Again,
> "960x1200."  The numbers make no
> obvious sense.  I can twiddle the
> display settings until the display looks
> OK, and the display size will be in that
> range.
>
>    -- Bob

 Ben Rousch
   brousch at gmail.com