[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - hybrid drives

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Nov 12 08:08:16 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 11:18 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_172730_26630760_pe_b2/?ASIN=B003NSBF32 mainson spinning rust in the SSD case).
> >Conceptually, the "sticky bit" in file
> >permissions was intended for just that
> >purpose,
> I think the sticky bit was more about trying to control caching.
> Do tell:
> **
> The sticky bit was introduced in the Fifth Edition of Unix for use
> with pure executable files. When set, it instructed the operating
> **
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bit
> The sticky bit might have evolved
> into something more, but the concept
> dates to the days when memory and
> hard drive space was very limited.

The UNIX sticky bit is an entirely historic footnote.  In ~25 years I've
never worked on a system that implemented 'orthodox' stick-bit behavior
- or at least where using it was ever advised.  [mostly because it is
just a dumb idea]

If we want to grasp at vague equivalencies I'd consider LD_PRELOAD to
better resemble pre-load-the-good-stuff than the stick bit does.  But
neither of these are really equivalent to storage tiering since the
entire point of such tiering is that it is dynamic;  rather than the
sys-admin [or worse, the developer] trying to guess [and inevitably
being wrong] what data is upper-tier worthy.