[GRLUG] Cable installer

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:16:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Brad Becker <bradjbecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to 'cut the cord' so to speak with Dish Network in favor of OTA
> and HTPC or something similar but need someone really knowledgeable about
> networking to help me out.  The house has cabling all over and I need to
> have someone figure it all as it relates to my multimedia needs which might
> include roku, powerline, wireless n, hdhomerun, or possibly MoCA if all the
> cabling I'm seeing is coax.
>
> Does any out there know someone that has experience doing this part or full
> time?

I've done this kind of thing for money in the past, but I'm far more
into teaching people how to do it themselves. I'd be happy to take a
look at it and make some recommendations based on your layout and
building construction, and get you (or your kids or whoever) jump
started on the skills. (The skills really are quite easy to acquire.
The hard (and expensive) parts are things like running cable, but
those are hard because of muscle work and tediousness more than
anything.)

Some seeder questions, though:

1) How old is the building?
2) How many floors?
3) Which rooms are on which floor?
4) Does all your phone wiring currently run back to a central
location, or is it something of a tree affair?