[GRLUG] Persistant search domain

Nathan Phillip Brink binki at gentoo.org
Wed Mar 28 22:21:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 07:51:44PM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Has anyone fitured out a way to force a persistant search domain?
> resolv.conf gets overwritten every time a new WiFi connection is made, so
> that DNW, and I can't find any other place to configure a search domain.
>
> 	Lee

We can't help you if we can't guess what's causing your search domain
to be updated. I suppose we could assume you're using a relatively
default installation of dhcpcd... but telling us your distro,
etc. would eliminiate some of this guessing.

If you're using dhcpcd, you can always edit /etc/resolv.conf.head or
/etc/resolv.conf.tail and fill those files in with the `search'
directive you want. If I am reading resolv.conf(5) correctly, the last
`search' line wins so inserting `search my-domain.com' into
/etc/resolv.conf.tail would force `my-domain.com' to be your search
domain.

--
binki

Look out for missing or extraneous apostrophes!