[GRLUG] productivity software

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Mar 28 16:57:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:48:34PM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 3/28/2012, you wrote:
>
> >I don't like the lack of a Debian package.  I'm not interested in
> >manually tracking updates and bug-fixes, though the app looks like a
> >great idea.  Currently I keep track of a to-do list of sorts with a text
> >file and vim.
>
> Ruby/Rails projects are acutually platform-indendent application
> code (similar PHP), .. only system binaries (Rails itself) are
> packages. In fact, most Rails plugins (called Gems) are installed
> *by* rails, no the OS.
>
> Using a git URL repository is just as effective as a package, just a
> different environment.

And updates?  I'm not a developer and I rarely compile apps anymore.  I
haven't compiled a kernel in *years*.  I'm sure git has the ability to
do this (update the source, not compile)for me, provided I know and and
remember.  The bigger issue, however, is manual installation via git
requires that *I* create a database and run through a number of steps to
configure it.  A Debian package would take care of that for me.  I
switched to Debian ten years ago because its package manager was
superior to anything else out there at the time.  (I'm sure many of us
remember the frustration with RedHat and others.  Installing foo
required we specify installing bar which requires we update six other
packages but one of the updates requires a new package which prompts
other updates...  I don't miss those days.)
--
john-thomas
------