[GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jun 20 07:06:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 09:38 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Roberto Villarreal
> Your comments emphasize the problem. Nvidia works well for some people
> under some configurations, and is unreliable for others. This makes it
> a real PITA to troubleshoot.

It is a genuine PITA if you are trying to get card 'X' to work.

But having a good nVidia experience is failry easy & reliable if you
start with hardware selection [rather than the other way around].
nouveau has a very good wiki that documents the cards and what does /
doesn't work.

(a) identify a laptop on TigerDirect
(b) go to the OEM's website and get the field service manual - only this
will tell you what the actual components are.
(c) check the wiki

The FeatureMatrix for the chipsets usually makes this clear.  For
example, the wiki pointed me clearly away from any device whose name
contained "Optimus"

<http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix>
<http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/HardwareStatus>
<http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Optimus>

Probably a better solution is to get a laptop with a known working *
Intel * GPU, they are less fuss.  But I find the selection to be
extremely limited if I add that constraint.