[GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:47:16 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 03:29 -0400, Robar Philip wrote:
>>
>> Given that UNIX workstations with the X Window System have supported
>> multiple monitors for decades (albeit not as well as Apple and Mac
>> OS), it amazes me that this is still an issue on Linux today.
>
> It works *very* well on current versions given the correct hardware [as
> in all things PC-land].

I realize now that I should have qualified my remarks about Macs and UNIX workstations. What they did well early on was to support multiple monitors each using their own graphics card. Something that was necessary given the limitations of graphics cards in the early days of the personal computer.

Phil