[GRLUG] Remote login in Ubuntu

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:10:54 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to remotely login graphically to a computer?  I thought
> VNC, but I would need to already be logged in to a desktop, which I don't
> want to do.

You can run VNC independent of any operating X session. For example,
you can have it launch an X server and bring up gdm.

Here's a limited excerpt from O'Reilly's "X Power Tools":

---

To configure xinetd and Xvnc to work together, you must first select
at least one port number. This should be appended to the end of the
/etc/services file along with service names of your choice; in this
example, I'm using port 5940 (VNC display number 40) for 800 x 600
resolution:

	# VNC servers started by xinetd
	vnc-800x600     5940/tcp

Once this has been done, corresponding service files can be added to
/etc/xinetd/xinetd.d. Here is the file for the 800 x 600 service,
placed in /etc/xinetd/xinetd.d/vnc-800x600:

	# default: on
	service vnc-800x600
	{
	  flags           = REUSE
	  socket_type     = stream
	  wait            = no
	  user            = vnc
	  server          = /usr/bin/Xvnc
	  # The following two lines must be one line in the file.
	  server_args     = -inetd -query localhost -once -terminate
	                    -depth 24 -geometry 800x600 -securitytypes none
	  log_on_failure    += USERID
	  disable           = no
	}

---

I'll note that I omitted a part where he added a custom user to have
the system log in as. (He added a user named 'vnc')