[GRLUG] 32bit vs. 64bit [Was: Random questions]

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Fri Jul 27 08:07:48 EDT 2012

On 07/26/2012 10:34 PM, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com
> <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
>     <awilliam at whitemice.org <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com <mailto:bob.kline at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >>I still use a 32-bit version of Linux.
>     >>What's to be gained or lost by going
>     >>to a 64-bit version?
>     >
>     >
>     > Effectively nothing.  Pointers are larger and often scalar
>     values default to larger - so the exact same applications consume
>     more resources.  On the other hand you get more registers, a
>     larger address space [with somewhat less 'cobbling'] and a few new
>     operations.  For a typical desktop the difference is really a
>     wash;  possibly a small negative of RAM is under-provisioned.
>
>     If you're using framework-heavy code like browsers, KDE or GNOME,
>     those extra registers are helpful.
>
> Seems like switching makes sense
> then.  I assume enough people use
> the 64-bit versions now for them to
> be as well debugged as the 32-bit?
>
>    -- Bob

I'm going to chip in with my agreement that 64bit just works.  The other
day for the first time in years I found a package in my repo that was
32bit only, and it was just a toy.

Don't forget the most important part about 64bit: your computer will
continue to work after the year 2038.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem